Schiedam has approximately 225 national monuments. These monuments, built by prosperous distillers make the city’s history tangible and gives it an atmosphere of nostalgia. Whilst strolling through the city you can get to know more about its unique history and the monuments listed below.
Lange Haven 84, 3111 CH Schiedam
Appelmarktbrug is one of the three cast iron drawbridges in Schiedam built around 1860. When a boat sails through the harbour, two bridge watchers raise the bridge by hand. Cast iron drawbridges are the oldest examples of double cast iron drawbridges in the Netherlands.
The Liduina Basilique was designed by architect E.J. Margry and was built between 1878 and 1881. In 1990 the church was turned into a basilica and restoration was started in 1994. You are invited to view the treasures of Saint Lidwina. For more information about this monument, opening hours and celebrations visit www.liduinabasiliek.nl
Noordvest 63, 3111 PE Schiedam
De Goudsbloem (The Marigold) is one of the last remaining malt distilleries. It was built in the second half of the 18th century and the interior remains largely intact.
Lange Kerkstraat 37, 3111 NN Schiedam |
This triple naved hall church was built around 1335 on a spot where earlier in 1262 a small church had stood. The interior includes an early renaissance organ case (approx. 1550), a wood carved pulpit (approx. 1600) and a baptising screen with copper arch and alderman’s and mayor’s bench. The church has five stained glass windows by Marius Richters (1952). The vestry has golden leather wallpaper and a fresco. The building began in 1262 and was completed around 1500. The church contains the grave of the holy Liduina.
The Korenbeurs was built by Giudici and modified by Schiedam architect Rutger van Bol‘Es (1787 - 1792). Malt spirit, alcohol and grain was traded here.
Dam 30, 3111 BD Schiedam | website
‘t Huis te Poort is the current Old Catholic Church. The building was raised again in 1861 and was restored in 2008. History shows that ‘t Huis te Poort was one of the most distinguished residences of Schiedam.
Overschiesestraat 3, 3111 GB Schiedam |
Former home for leprosy patients, it was thereafter used to accommodate elderly middle-class people, who could pay a sum for accommodation and care. The courtyard now consists of almshouses for single or double occupancy.
The Stedelijk Museum (municipal museum) Schiedam is situated in the former Sint Jacobs Gasthuis (Saint Jacob’s Guesthouse). The present building was built in 1786-89 on the spot where the guesthouse of 1260 once stood. The museum’s auditorium Has a neo-classic facade. In the auditorium is a (small) Hess organ (1773) and a preacher’s chair in the style of Louis the XIV.
Doeleplein 1, 3111 PA Schiedam |
This building by city architect Ary van Bol’Es from 1743 once served as a club house for the marksmen of the Saint Joris Guild. The building also functioned as a city inn and meeting place for a wide variety of groups. It is a classical country house with closed terrace and various large and smaller halls. It can be hired for special occasions for groups of 85 people (seated) up to 220 people.
Grote Markt 1, 3111 NG Schiedam
Originally built in the 16th century. It contains late gothic and renaissance elements. The staired plateau was added in 1717/18. The town hall is now only used for performing weddings, meetings and representative purposes.
Lange Haven 65, 3111 CB Schiedam |
Patrician’s house. Former home of distiller Nolet. Used as the District Court from 1906.
Lange Haven 134, 3111 CK Schiedam
Former house of pastor and poet Francois Haversmidt a.k.a. Piet Paaltjens
Hoogstraat 99, 3111 HC Schiedam
Lange Haven 56, 3111 CH Schiedam
The building at Lange Haven 56, a former distillery now called de Bonte Koe, has walls that were left unfinished and ground vats in the floor that can still be seen. The air is now filled with the smell of chocolate instead of yeast. The two-storey building with the double bell gable has a beautifully crafted skylight depicting the Goddess of Hope with a dove and anchor. Directly above is a gable with the goddess with the text: ‘De hoop in den hoove van ’s Herten Vreden’ (’The hope in the ’s Herten Vreden garden’).
Lange Haven 97, 3111 CC Schiedam
On the Vismarkt the last fish market was held in February 1938. The building at number 97 on the corner of the Vismarkt/Lange Haven was built in the second half of the 19th century on foundations of a much older building from the 16th century. The building houses the meeting hall of the former Dutch Distillers and Liquour Makers Union from 1918. The interior in Neo-Renaissance style was conserved in detail. This hall is found in the annex and was designed by Schiedam architect Piet Sanders (1882-1937) in 1918.
Oude Sluis 19, 3111 PK Schiedam
This is a square-formed building with a zakkendrager (sack carrier) as wind vane. It was built in 1725 and used to be the guild house of the Zakkendragersgilde (Sack Carrier’s Guild). The building has a clock-faced tower and the clock bell tolled to signal the arrival of a ship, after which the sack carriers would make their way to the Guild House. The building is not accessible to the general public.